Hyaluronic acid is not a new addition to the beauty industry. Yes, the name may sound a little “hostile,” but people have been using hyaluronic acid for hair growth and skincare. Hyaluronic acid for hair?
Is that something new for you? Well yeah, people mostly associate hyaluronic acid with skincare as it gives your skin a glowing and smooth look, but it is equally effective for your hair as well.
Today, we will discuss the benefits of hyaluronic acid for hair and how to apply hyaluronic acid for hair growth. But before that, let’s understand what hyaluronic acid is.
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid, aka hyaluronan, is a clear, gooey material naturally found in the human body, particularly in our joints, eyes, and skin. Basically, it keeps our tissues moist or lubricated and helps in preventing dryness. Hyaluronic acid attracts water, and according to research, just one gram of hyaluronic acid is good enough to bind six liters of water.
It is important to note that hyaluronic acid is a humectant and not a moisturizer. It retains/absorbs water and then draws it out to the surface of your skin.
Everything until now looks pretty good, but unfortunately, as we grow older, our body starts producing less and less hyaluronic acid. In fact, when we cross 40, the production of hyaluronic acid decreases by half as compared to our body needs (to keep our hair and skin refreshed).
Properties and Chemical Composition Of Hyaluronic Acid
- Attracts water.
- Prevents bacterial growth.
- Prevents swelling.
How To Use Hyaluronic Acid For Hair Growth?
How to apply hyaluronic acid for hair growth? Well, there are two easy ways to do that. For instance, you can use it as a pre-shampoo treatment. Take a moderate amount of hyaluronic acid and apply it to your scalp in a circular motion, especially in the more problematic areas.
Apart from that, you can also use it as a post-shower treatment. Here is how you can do that;
- If you are going for the post-shower option, you just need a pea-sized quantity of the serum because an excessive amount of HA serum can make your wet hair greasy and limp.
- Apply the serum on your scalp and massage it gently with your fingertips for 5 to 10 minutes.
However, make sure that you do not dry your hair with a towel before applying the serum. The application of hyaluronic acid can be very effective if you have frizzy hair. Just apply the serum on damp hair from the roots to the tips. Moreover, you can add a few drops of hyaluronic acid serum to your deep conditioner to boost your hair conditioning treatment.
Major Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid For Hair
- Hyaluronic acid is a great way to combat hair frizziness as it is a humectant, thus providing more moisture to the hair follicles. This makes your hair smoother and less frizzy.
- It improves the overall texture and look of your hair.
- Products containing hyaluronic acid are helpful in hair revitalization, and it helps boost hairs’ ability to retain moisture.
- Some people claim that hyaluronic acid has helped them in controlling hair loss, but according to a famous dermatologist, Beth Goldstein, it is unlikely; hyaluronic acid has no evident connection with hair loss control.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Hyaluronic Acid For Hair?
As hyaluronic acid is also a natural component of our body, so it is pretty safe to use with no side effects. However, as they say, excess of everything is bad. Make sure you use the HA serum in small quantities, or it can cause hair dryness.
Hyaluronic acid has been a famous element in the beauty industry, and it should be. Not only is it effective for skincare, but you can also use hyaluronic acid for hair growth and treatment. Just make sure you utilize it in the right quantity, or it may dry your hair out.
Check out these too: